Getting long and healthy hair is the dream for most girls. But getting long hair isn’t an impossible feat, but you do need to follow a healthy lifestyle and have proper hair care routine. If you want to increase the length of your hair, you can try different types of hair extensions. With hair extensions, you can quickly increase your hair length. There are two types of hair extensions – permanent and temporary.
What is a hair extension?
Hair extensions are separate pieces of hair that you blend into your natural hair. They come in a range of types, sizes, and colours that are to define clearly than is fairly difficult. Generally, these tend to be longer than your hair, but sometimes it’s just to enhance the thickness of your hair rather than gain a lot of lengths.
Thus, extensions add length and fullness to human hair by incorporating human or synthetic hairpieces that are usually clipped, glued or sewn into place.
Types of hair extension
Whether you want or not extensions all come down to your personal preference. There are various factors that you should consider at the time of getting extensions. Each extension has its own pros and maintenance ways.
#1 Clip-in extensions
This extension is one of the more well-known hair extension types. These come in strands of different lengths with clips that are sewn to the strands. If you’re looking for an easy and temporary option, clip-ins are great. It clips into your natural hair. They are fairly low-maintenance and only need to wash after 15-20 wears.
- Best for: commitment-phoebes and damaged hair
- Last for: Until you unclip
- Application time: Minutes
- You can put in and out daily
- Have an ability to change the hair colour and style
- No need of an expert to remove it, you can do it by yourself
#2 Tape-in extensions
If you often wear your hair up, the tape-in is the one to choose from. The wefts are taped or glued at the root and lay flat against your head and are less noticeable than other extensions. The chemicals present in glue-remover or adhesive ca damage your hair, but with tape-in, they don’t pull your natural hairs and are super light-weight. Moreover, it can be varied about the products you use because harsh and oily products can cause the glue to unstick. You can also reinstall as your natural hair grows out.
- Best for: Fine hair and being discreet
- Last for: 4-8 weeks
- Application time: 30-60 minutes
- The easiest and fastest method of application
- No heating tools required for an application
- Suitable for thin and fine hair
#3 Bonds Extensions
Bond extensions are thin strands then wefts, and it allows your hair to move naturally. Each one is applied to a thin strand to your natural hair using a tool like a glue gun. If you don’t want to head back to the salon every couple of weeks than bonds are great. Moreover, they are better suited to coarse hair.
- Best for: Who don’t enjoy the regular trips to the parlour
- Last for: 3 to 4 months
- Application time: A few hours
- Suitable for thick and coarse hair
- Most durable hair extension
- Gives you a feeling of natural hairs
#4 Micro-links Extensions
Micro-links extensions are the same as bonds and are a thin strand, but they don’t use any chemicals and heat during its application process. Instead of that, small strands of hair are pulled through a “bead” and clamped shut to attach the extensions. It blends seamlessly and can be styled like natural hair, and it will need repositioning as your hair grows out.
- Best for: Damaged hair and people who don’t like to visit parlour regularly
- Last for: 3 to 4 months
- Application time: A few hours
- It can move naturally because it has individual strands
- No heat or glue-gun required for application and can last up to 6 months
- Extensions are reusable and can be fixed by an experienced technician if it is down or off.
#5 Weave extensions
Weave hair extensions can be worn as a protective hairstyle to give your natural hair a break from heat-styling. This extension is not for the people who have fine hair. The application can be uncomfortable and put a lot of strain on the scalp. Also, make sure you remove the hair every 8th week to give your scalp breathing time.
- Best for: Thick hair
- Last for: Around eight weeks
- Application time: Several hours
- Most suitable for thick and coarse hair
- No heat or glue required for application
- It won’t slip unless the braids become loose
#6 Get trims frequently
It may seem counterintuitive, but for healthy and longer hair, you need to get regular trims. While haircuts don’t make your hair grow faster, but they get rid of split ends that break your hair. A neat trim every 8-12 weeks can aid in growing out your hair. Regular trims can enhance the growth of your hair.
#7 Take supplements
Supplements are convenient in that they provide hair with easily accessible nutrients. It will ensure healthy levels of certain minerals, in particular, will encourage your hair growth and help prevent breakage. There are six essential nutrients that we need to improve your hair growth. Nutrients like biotin, iron, zinc, vitamin B12, amino acids, and vitamin D. You can try some products that claim to increase hair growth and improve the texture of hair. A word of caution, consult a medical practitioner before self-prescribing any new pills.
#8 Plan out your style in advance
Long hair doesn’t mean one size fit for all. The kind of long hair you have should suit both your face and your hair type. People who have narrow faces and more delicate features tend to look good with flowing hair that frames and accentuates their natural bone structure. Also, people with a more prominent feature, like a big nose, do better with a more texturised style.
People with choppy face-framing layers break up people’s focus and minimise significant features.
#9 Apply egg mask treatment
Eggs can benefit you in increasing your hair length. It contains ample protein which helps strengthen hair follicles. The rich moisture in the hair mask will protect your hair from becoming dry and thin.
The direction of making mask:
- Take an egg, crack it in a bowl and whisk it until it becomes smooth.
- Pour in the yogurt and whisk it with the egg until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Wet your hair and apply this mixture for 20 minutes
- Now, wash out your hair to rinse out the mask.
#10 Massage your scalp
With an excellent massaging, your scalp can improve the blood circulation in your head and spur the activity of your hair follicles. When most of your follicles became active, you can grow your hair and thus your hair length will increase.
Usually, there are two ways you can do massage. One is by rubbing your scalp with essential oil or the inversion method. Many beauty bloggers recommend both of these methods.
Method 1: Steps for inversion method:
- Take a chair, sit on it and flip your hair over. Flip in such a way that your head is positioned under your heart.
- Remain in this position until five minutes using your fingertips.
- Now, rub the front, back, and sides of your scalp in a circular motion.
Method 2: Steps for essential oil method:
- Take either one of these essential oils like lemon, tea tree, and peppermint
- Warm up the oil and massage it on your scalp for 20 minutes.
- Now, leave the oil for 30 minutes in your scalp and then rinse out the oil in the end.
How to take care of your extensions?
If you’re choosing from the above extensions, taking care isn’t complicated or time-consuming, as you think it could be. You need to wash them and detangled them, but with the following tips, you will be able to do it quickly.
- Until they detangled, brush them properly with the detangling brush.
- Wet your extensions slightly by placing them into a bathtub or a sink.
- First, apply the conditioner
- Now, pour some shampoo over the conditioner and wash gently.
- At last, rinse it with warm water.
In case, if you’ve permanent extension, consult your hairdresser on what shampoo and conditioner they recommend as each process is different. Overall, avoid the conditioner or shampoo which has too much of moisturisers in them, as your hairs can become too slippery for your extensions. Additionally, ensure that before you go to bed, your hair is dried and if you want that your extensions last for a more extended period, try braiding or putting your hair in pig-tails.
Apart, from the extension, there are some other ways to grow your hair length, and with these expert ways, you will get results quickly. These are the natural ways to increase your hair length, but it can take some time.
With these above mention ways, you can quickly increase your hair length. Increasing the range is highly dependent on the way you treat your natural hair. If you’re choosing weave, fusion and tape-in extension for your hair considering going to the professionals. Also, ensure before you go to the professionals, do your research on the most experienced salon for the job.
Erika Rhein, a professional writer and blogger by profession. I write on various niches, however, I prioritise writing on hair improving methods. I always strive to provide users with useful and informative articles in a readable format. I aim to achieve a difference in my writing.
Post You May Also Like